The Weekly Links post highlights important or interesting writing from the hockey blogosphere and media.
- “My take on the N.H.L. involvement is, these women deserve everything the N.H.L. has available to them resource-wise. I don’t think the N.H.L. deserves one lick of their attention, though.” – Hockey in Society Associate Editor Courtney Szto closing out Seth Berkman’s New York Times article on the women heading to the NHL all-star game.
- The undefeated Boston Pride emphasized “taking the lead” against racism and hate speech with a video feature captain Jillian Dempsey and defender Briana Mastel [Boston Pride Twitter]
- Bakersfield Condors defender Brandon Manning was suspended five games for using a racial slur in a AHL game. Adam Gretz wonders, is that enough? [NBC Sports]
- Akim Aliu signed with HC Litvínov of the Czech Extraliga for the remainder of the season. He says “I’m not stepping back one bit. I don’t see anything changing because I’m six hours away.” [Alex Prewitt, Sports Illustrated)
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are hosting Black Hockey History Day on Friday, January 31, featuring the NHL’s Black Hockey History mobile museum. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- Former CWHL and NWHL forward Jessica Koizumi reflected on her career in an interview with Mark Staffieri [Women’s Hockey Life]
- On January 4th, Winnipeg Jets broadcaster Kevin Sawyer joked about how the hazing of Minnesota Wild defender Jared Spurgeon when Sawyer was his assistant coach in the WHL. After initially denying to apologize [Paul Friesen, Winnipeg Sun], Sawyer finally apologized on January 22nd [Paul Friesen, National Post]
- Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion refuses to answer what books he reads because “because sometimes they go and read it and they can get the edge on you (laughs) or they know how you’re thinking.” Sure… [Pierre Lebrun, The Athletic – paywalled]
- Edmonton Oilers forward Zack Kassian discussed his struggles with substance abuse and turning his life around on former Canucks Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa’s Podcast. They also talk about Zack’s bizarre rivalry with former Minnesota Wild enforcer Matt Kassian (no relation), who felt Zack was encroaching on his legally trademarked nickname, “Kassassin”. [Kes and Juice]